3. FAQ



We have prepared 3 types of insurance for movingyour shipment to an overseas destination.The insurance premium amount is decided by calculating: the amount which you would like to have insured x insurance premium rate (%). Insurance is optional and excluded from the moving rate.
For detailed information please click here
And we are happy to receive any simple question about insurance by click here .


For detailed information please click here.
We are happy to receive any questions you may have about tax here click here.


Q1Is there a weight limit?
A1We generally would like to ask you to keep the weight of a 0.5 m3 standard carton at less than 80 kg (176 lb), as that is usually about the maximum weight that can be handled by two persons for loading on the truck. Because our pickup service is conducted by only one driver, we cordially ask you to provide help in loading on the truck.
If you have many books, and the weight limit must be exceeded, then we recommend that you use our small size outer carton for an additional charge of JPY3,000. Then a 1 m3 carton can fit two 0.25 m3 S size cartons and one 0.5 m3 standard carton (instead of two 0.5 m3 cartons).
Q2I have a bicycle which exceeds your standard 0.5 m3 carton size. What can I do ?
A2Do not worry!!! We can make a custom-made carton for your bigger items for an additional charge of JPY3,000 (for a carton size of less than 0.5 m3).
Please measure your bicycle or other bigger items, and let us know the precise dimensions.
We are happy to make it. For your reference, examples of bigger items for which we have made cartons in the past include a kotatsu, snow board, skis, surfboard, koto, small dresser, and bicycle.
Along with the charge for the custom made carton, there will also be an additional charge for the extra volume.
Q3Will the preparation of documents be difficult?
A3No. While it can be boring, it is easy. For our Self Pack service, we must ask you to submit to us an inventory list.
We can provide you with a simple form for making an inventory list, along with a sample of how to write it. The blank inventory list form will be sent to you along with the empty outer cartons.
Q4Is it possible to cancel my order of outer cartons if I ordered too many?
A4No, we cannot accept cancellations of outer cartons.
The empty cartons are sent to your residence wrapped in a transparent film sheet. Once this is opened, the driver is not allowed to take back the cartons.
As such, we recommend that you to start with the minimum size of 1 m3 (two 0.5 m3 cartons), if you are not sure about your volume. After getting the cartons, if you find that it is not enough, you can ask us to bring some more cartons. There is no charge for the transportation for delivering the additional cartons.
Q5Is it possible to store my cartons at a destination port or inland terminal?
A5Yes, it is possible, but we do not recommend it as it is very expensive to do so. The free storage period at a port or inland terminal is usually around 5-10 business days. After the free period, you will be charged a significant storage rate, which is usually around US$400/month/m3! So if you wish to have your cartons stored for a while, we recommend that you do so in Japan. Our storage charge is only JPY1,000/week/m3. And we have a free storage period of 10 days in Japan.
Q6I have only a small amount of personal items? maybe less than 1m3. Can I send a box smaller than 1m3?
A6Yes, you can send a box that is 0.5 m3. However, we do not recommend that you use our service to send a box that is only 0.5 m3. If you do not have any larger items, it would be cheaper to use a post office. (The post office has a measurement and weight limit. For detailed postal information regarding parcel size limits, please click here.)
In our moving system, we are required to pay for ocean freight at the minimum volume of 1 m3 even if we are, for example, only sending 0.1m3. As such, we must ask our customers to pay accordingly. We appreciate your kind understanding.
Q7How durable are your standard cartons? Are they water proof?
A7Our standard cartons are made of special tough paper materials. They are 10 mm thick, and specially made for international shipping. It is strong enough to withstand approximately 2000 kg of vertical pressure. This material was originally developed for use by the US Army or Navy. These cartons are designed to float for more than 72 hours in the event that they are thrown off a helicopter into the ocean.
Q8Economy plan insurance for SELF PACK does not cover against theft?
A8No, the Economy plan insurance does not cover against theft. As the insurance company is skeptical about the Self packing, it only entitles us to select the simple insurance plan, which covers vessel accident only. However, there is no need for concern over the possibility of theft. The shipping company must take full responsibility to deliver the entrusted cartons to the consignee (you). When we specify on the shipping documents the number of cartons to be delivered, the shipping company is responsible for safely delivering the said number of cartons. In our experience of serving over 250 customers per year, we have not had any incidents in which any of the cartons went missing.
Our shipping contracter is a very reliable company and will take full responsibility. If, however, you still have concerns regarding the Economy plan insurance, we recommend that you choose the Normal plan or the Best plan insurance for the Standard type moving. (Self type moving is not applicable with Normal plan and/or Best plan insurance.)


Q1How many days does it take for the delivery to reach the destination port or inland terminal?
A1Please click here for the sailing durations to your nearest port or inland terminal.
Q2In the case of a port stop, how can I get my cartons?
A2The local shipping agent at the destination will send an arrival notice to your contact email. It will state when the cartons will be arriving, where you should go for pick up, and how much you are requested to pay for the cargo release.
After you have paid the local charges, and cleared the import custom, you will be able to collect your cartons at a warehouse.
Q3How do I clear the import customs at my destination?
A3You can clear customs by showing the following documents at the destintion custom office.
  1. Arrival notice which you received from the local shipping agent.
  2. Seaway bill that we have sent to you by post after the vessel departure.
  3. Inventory list which you submitted to us, and which you received by airmail after shipment along with other shipping documents.
  4. Custom form which you submited to us, and which you received by airmail after shipment along with other shipping documents.
  5. Passport copy (the top face page).
Q4Do I have to pay fees even if I collected the cartons by myself at destination?
A4Yes, you have to pay the following charges in order to have the cargo released:
  • Port service charge (or terminal handling charge)
  • Documentation charge
  • Warehouse handling charge
The amount of the above charges differ depending on the location or country.
If you wish to find out, we woud be happy to provide you with the local charge information.
Q5I am travelling around on my way to my home country. So, I want my parents or friend (representative) to collect my cartons on my behalf. Is it possible to do so?
A5You cannot import your personal effects until you are in USA, as US customs requires that the owner be in the USA.
However, once you are in the USA, you can specify a third party representative to receive your cartons on your behalf. In order to do so, you must provide this representative with all the required documents. In addition to the five kinds of documents stated in above A3, you must also prepare and send the following documents to the representative.
  1. Power of Attorney. This should include the following:
    • Name of the representative and his/her relation to you
    • Address and telephone number of the representative
    • ID number of the representative
    • The reason why you have to ask the representative to collect your cartons on your behalf. (e.g., “As I am travelling on my way from Japan where I stayed for two years to my home counrty, USA."
    • The esimated time of your final arrival at the destination country.
  2. Copies of all the pages of your passport.